Which Type Of Visa Should I Apply For?

If you enter the United States, you are required to have a visa. This could be a non-immigrant visa, which allows for short-term travelling, or an immigrant visa, which allows a longer stay in the country. Each of these visas have a variety of options that depend on your circumstances as you enter the country. Determining which visa to apply for can be a complicated question, and is best discussed with an immigration lawyer in Detroit. Below are the different types of visas available in the U.S.

Non-Immigrant Visas

These visas are issued as non-permanent, and allow the holder to enter the country, but bars them from applying for work in the U.S.

Business Visa

A B-1 Visa is for anyone entering the United States for business purposes

Tourist Visa

A B-2 Visa is for anyone entering the country for pleasure (or medical treatment).

Work Visas

A work visa is a non-permanent visa for anyone entering the country in order to work. Below are the most common work visas issued:

  • H1-B – This visa is for specialized workers who have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a specialty field.
  • H2-A – This visa covers anyone entering the country for seasonal agricultural work.
  • H2-B – This visa is for both skilled and unskilled laborers entering the country to work when there is a shortage of American workers available.
  • H-3 – This visa covers anyone entering the U.S. to be trained in their particular field, and can be valid for up to two years. This visa does not cover anything beyond the training, so although you can be paid during your training, you are ineligible to go beyond training into “productive work.”
  • H-4 – This visa covers family of anyone with an H1-3 visa to enter with them, but does not entitle the H-4 holder to work in the U.S.
  • There are a variety of other work visas available in the U.S as well, including L, O, P, and Q Visas for specific fields and family members.


Student Visas

If you have been accepted to a U.S. university or program, you must apply for a student visa before being allowed to begin your studies.

  • F-1 Visas are for academic studies in approved U.S. programs
  • M-1 Visas are issued for vocational training in approved programs


Additional Non-Immigration Visas

There are many additional visas available for non-immigration purposes, which can be reviewed at the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.


Immigrant Visas

There is an extensive collection of immigrant visas available in the United States, each dependant on very specific circumstances of the applicant. They range from employment-based immigration, to spousal immigration visas, and a variety of other circumstances where a foreign individual or family may be allowed to immigrate into the U.S. While non-immigration Visas are a bit easier to understand, the immigration process into the United States can be extremely complicated. Visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs to see the full list of visas, and contact an immigration lawyer today if you are confused about w

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.