As a traveler, you know that the number one spoiler to a happy trip are unhappy feet. Your feet bear your body’s entire weight, so it’s only right to invest in high-quality shoes that can sustain your weight, as well as endure the ruggedness of different terrains, most especially if you’re planning to hike or are anticipating a long walk.
When it comes to buying new shoes, comfort and size are the most common factors people consider. However, there are also other essential features you need to look out for when buying a new pair of shoes. Let’s take a look:
As a traveler, you’ll always be ready for any adventure, and it means that your feet will surely be tired of walking and running through various terrains. This is why choosing a flexible sole is important.
Aside from having the right size, you should choose a pair with flexible soles. They should be able to bend, but are still soft enough to feel comfortable. The ‘bending’ test should be done first before testing the inner padding’s softness. When choosing the right shoes, flexibility should be a primary concern, most especially if you’re eyeing to buy a new pair of running shoes. For women, the best running shoes for travelers are not only aesthetically appealing, but are also comfortable to wear and durable.
Here are some tips when buying a new pair of running shoes to assess their flexibility and overall quality:
- You should be able to twist, bend, or contort a running shoe to a certain extent with little effort, without causing damage to the shoe.
- Conduct a torsion test or flex by gripping a shoe from the heel-end portion and toe end. Next, bend the running shoe upward and slightly twist the shoe to stimulate torque or force.
- It’s also important to check for any bonding gaps that make up the assembly of the shoe. Check for any cracks or other signs of damage. Are any signs that the strength of the shoe adhesive may be questionable? If yes, then it’s better to find a new one.
If you’re heading to the beach or are casually traveling, invest in high-quality flip-flops or sandals. Choose something that’s durable with good support and a comfortable fit. While it’s fun to go barefoot, there could be hazards in the sand that can hurt your feet, like sand that can scorch your feet.
It’s fun and exciting to travel for a holiday trip abroad, or to go on a grand vacation on a cruise. Of course, you’d want to have the best clothes and shoes for your outfit-of-the-day or Instagram-worthy picture. Packing for a trip should include preparing all the essentials, including a properly fitted shoes. While it can be exciting to shop for new shoes online, it’s important to consider the proper fit.
Buy a new pair of shoes that conform well to the shape and size of your feet. A new pair of closed shoes should perfectly fit your foot both in length and width. Your toes should move comfortably without pressure, so sufficient space is important (up to 0.5 centimeters).
Here are some tips and tricks when buying the right shoes for you to ensure a perfect fit:
- Try both shoes. People’s feet almost never have exactly the same length and width. That’s why you need to try wearing both shoes. Since shoes become wider and longer with age, you need to find one that feels comfortable on each foot. Don’t rely on the size of your previous pair of shoes when buying a new one because manufacturers size shoes differently.
- Make sure that no part of the feet bulges over the side of a new pair of shoes that’s laced.
- When buying heels, your heels should not slip, and the heel counter should be fit snugly.
- Make sure that there are no prominent or unusual seams inside the shoe.
For sure, you want to travel to experience nature, or even to run and be free to perform various sports activities like an athlete. Remember that the quality of shoes degrades with frequent use. Any wear and tear could magnify and accelerate an unstable foot structure.
One essential factor when considering the quality of a new pair of new shoes is the stitch count. It measures the strength and quality of textiles. You have to count the stitches of fabric per inch to determine quality. The general rule is an adult shoe must have 8 to 10 stitches per inch.
This is why it’s important to get a new pair of shoes if your shoes are more than six months old. Choose high-quality shoes to ensure that they won’t wear down easily, most especially if you’re planning to use them when traveling for a sports event, like a marathon. Also, it will make sure that you won’t encounter foot problems due to poor quality shoes.
As a traveler, your feet can take you anywhere you want to go, and happy pair of feet can bring you even to the highest places on earth. When buying a new pair of shoes, it’s important to check for quality, including the number of stitches, size, inner padding, flexibility, and safety. In that way, you have peace of mind knowing that your shoes won’t impede your activities, and you can go wherever you want to, free of any hassle.