Mitragyna Speciosa or as most people know it – Kratom – is a tree/herb belonging to the Rubbeaica family. Coffee also belongs to this family. This plant grows naturally in marshy regions of countries like Malaysia, Thailand, and the majority of Southeast Asia as the climatic conditions there provide the perfect environment for its growth.
Many cultures have made heavy usage of kratom for decades. It was a part of the folk medicine that used it for remedying countless ailments such as insomnia, lethargy, pain, opioid addiction, anxiety, etc. They also used it for an added energy kick. The natives would originally simply pick the flowers and chew them. Occasionally, they would brew it too and drink it as tea.
It was in the 1830s that kratom was first officially studied as a plant. With the onset of the 21st century, its popularity grew exponentially and along came countess new methods of consuming it. While some like to use crushed kratom leaves, others like it in the form of powder. Some prefer extract while many prefer to use capsules.
This post talks about kratom powder vs. leaf.
Kratom Leaf vs. Powder (also how to prepare powder using leaves)
You can grab dried kratom powder off of any good kratom store such as Kratom Crazy. After that, you can turn it into powder which happens to be a popular way of consuming kratom. To turn kratom leaves into powder all you have to do is put the leaves on your hand, place a paper underneath, and crush them making sure the paper can collect the dust.
Alternatively, you can use a pepper mill too. Do buy a new one for this purpose otherwise the residual pepper and other spices may get mixed. It’s also possible that some of the kratom is left behind in the mill. If you have a food processor/blender, you can use that too. Just make sure that there’s no powder sticking to the blades in the end.
Once you have the powder ready, here are a few ways in which you can use this freshly made powder –
- Consume it just like that. Of course, the taste is going to be quite bitter so you may want to wash it down quickly with a sweet/tasty beverage to mask that taste.
- You can mix it with juices like orange/apple. This is again a good way to mask the taste.
- Add it to smoothies, yogurt, and protein shakes. Protein shakes are good before the workout. Just remember to pick a kratom strain that energizes you; not relaxes you.
- You can bake cookies and brownies.
- Add it to savory foods like oatmeal and soups.
- You can buy vitamin capsules from a local grocery store and encapsulate it in those capsules.
Using Crushed Leaves for Preparing Kratom Tea
One quick Google search will tell you a bunch of kratom tea recipes that anybody can try at home. Those who want a healthier alternative to coffee/tea may find it a true lifesaver.
Almost all recipes are similar except for the variation in terms of base green teas and sweeteners. You will need a strainer (as a special tool) to strain the leaves from tea.
What is the Ideal Dosage for Kratom Leaf?
It is crucial that you accurately measure your kratom dose every single time you take it. Since each strain will have a unique profile of effect, you need to be mindful of both the dosage and the effects you experience.
Always start with a small dose, gradually increasing it gram by gram until you hit the ‘sweet spot’. With each dose, monitor the physical and mental effects. The only way to find out what dose works for you is via observation and experimentation.
These guidelines may help you out a little on dosing –
- 1-3 grams – This is perfect for those who are just getting started. Even at this dose, you will notice some effects. The effects may be less pronounced, but they will be there. They also might not last too long either.
- 3-5 grams – This is a middle ground between low and slightly higher doses. This is perfect for users who have little experience with this herb. At this dosage, the effects are mildly stimulating.
- 5-7 grams – By comparison, this is a somewhat powerful dose. At this point, the effects start to transcend over to the sedative side of the spectrum; rather than being stimulating in nature.
- 7 grams and above – At this point, the effects can be pretty overwhelming. Sometimes, they can be hard to predict also. That is why users are discouraged from consuming dosages this heavy. Only if you are a highly experienced user, you would be safe to consume beyond 7 grams of kratom leaves.
Which One is Better – Kratom Leaves or Powder?
There’s no ‘best’ way to get kratom inside your system. It just depends on what you’re comfortable with. If you like to prepare things at home, then go for leaves. If you don’t mind a readymade preparation, you should not have any trouble grabbing the powdered version.
Eventually, you have to decide what version your body agrees to better. Perhaps you have found a particular product that you can tolerate better than the other.
It may take some time before you’ve truly found the perfect product. Don’t be afraid to put a little bit of experimenting and time to find that out.
In conclusion, if you are big on consuming kratom in the form of tea more than anything – then by all means – go for the leaves. If that’s not your priority, you can go with powder.