Would you like to visit Holy Trinity Monastery of Sergius? Get your Russian visa first.
The Holy Trinity Monastery of Sergius has been one of Russia’s most respected resorts for one hundred years. The architectural complex of the Holy Trinity Monastery of Sergius is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The history of this largest Russian Orthodox male monastery is closely linked to the name of the saint priest Sergey Radonezhsky. It is generally believed that the monastery was established in 1337, but some historians believe that the monastery was established a little later. According to legend, the secular name Sergey used when he was young was Barthelemy. His brother wanted to become a monk. He chose a remote place in the forest and built a monastic room and a small named Holy Trinity. church. Soon the brothers left to go to the Epiphany Church in Moscow, and Sergi stayed alone.
Sergey Radonezhsky was humble, hardworking, and had a tough personality. In order to pursue the divine ideal, the hermit endured all temptations and never wasted an inch. Rumor has it in the city that there is an ascetic living in the Radonezhsky Forest. Monks began to come here admiringly-from this, the monastery was born, and a village gradually formed around the monastery. The disciples hope that Sergi will become a priest and serve as the head of the monastery he founded. Many people came to visit priests from far away, and Samick Monastery became the religious center of the Moscow region.
Father Sergey died on September 25, 1392. Before his death, he left a legacy to the monks, asking them to retain the pure Orthodox faith, maintain the purity of mind and body, sincere love, and do their best to guard themselves and be willing to give to pilgrims. When the Trinity Church was built in the monastery in 1422, the corpse of Father Sergi was found, and it became an important holy relic of this church.
In 1422, the first stone building of the monastery, the Trinity Cathedral, was built on the site of the original wooden church. The outstanding icon painter Andrei Rublev participated in the creation of the church murals and completed the famous painting “Trinity” here. The princes of Moscow admire the Trinity Cathedral and conclude an agreement in the form of an oath. The baptism of the heir to the throne is also held here.
The White Church of the Holy Spirit is decorated in the church square. It was built by Pskov craftsmen in 1476-1477. Construction of the Cathedral of the Assumption began in 1559, and its history is related to Tsar Ivan the Terrible.
A white stone wall was built around the monastery in 1540. In 1550, the construction of this irregular quadrangular “strip” about 1.5 kilometers long was completed. At the same time, a dyke was built in the gorge adjacent to the monastery, and a large pond was dug to the south-the monastery became a strong fortress. The fortifications of the fort were consolidated and perfected in the mid-17th century, forming what we see now.
At the end of the 17th century, a small church was built above the spring. This small church was opened in 1644 when the porch of the Assumption Cathedral was repaired. According to legend, the spring water here cured a blind monk, and many patients came from all over Russia to hope to obtain this magical water.
Funders donated money to build the Naderfrat Church in 1699. Today this church holds the sacrament of penance for many prayers and pilgrims, who come to the church every morning to confess.
The monastery received the title of Great Monastery in 1740. Empress Elizabeth Petrovna used to visit the monastery frequently, and her visits were always accompanied by beautiful fireworks and sumptuous food. A palace for entertainment was built outside the monastery, surrounded by flower houses. The palace architects developed a new monastery bell technique-the czar’s bell was also made in this way. Here is the tallest five-storied bell tower in Russia, which stands in the center of the Trinity Monastery of Sergius.
Many buildings in the monastery need to be rebuilt. A fire forced the work to proceed ahead of schedule-a fire in 1746 destroyed all the wooden buildings in the monastery. After the complete renovation, the architectural appearance of the monastery is reminiscent of the decorations in the palace. The walls are painted in bright colors and decorated with gold-covered sculptures, and the interior decoration is even more magnificent. A solid white stone road appeared in the monastery, the boulevard was decorated with forged fences, and an obelisk decorated with reliefs was built in the main square, which tells us the history of the monastery.
In the monastery website, you can choose to visit or pilgrimage programs, including-sightseeing in three main churches, “Monastery One-day Tour” project, pilgrimage to the Gethsemane-Chernigovka monastery, visiting springs, and also for elementary and middle school students A tour with the theme of “Icons and Abbey Church”.