This week we’re pleased to introduce to you to one of the UK’s most sought-after female DJs and celebrity travel addict, Miss Kelly Marie. While you’ve been at your desk working nine to five for the past 15 years, Miss Kelly Marie has been touring the world and headlining sets for high profile music festivals (Baltic Soul Weekender, Ibiza’s El Divino, Notting Hill Carnival) and illustrious corporate events (Nike, Cartier, Sony). She is artistic director, manager and member of High On Heels, a stunning live event act featuring London’s most talented female DJs, vocalists and musicians. In this interview, Miss Kelly Marie dishes on where in the world music has taken her and shares her girl-on-the-go travel tips.
Working as a DJ and as part of High On Heels, I’m lucky I get to travel so much. Some weeks, I’ll be in three different countries but on an average week, I’ll travel at least once.
High On Heels recently performed in Bahrain for the official Formula One weekend at Ibrida club. In the same week, I was in Dubai for ‘Miss Kelly Marie presents’ at Q43 and Karma Kafe. They were really great events and very busy.
The most remote place I have played was in Bahia, a remote part of Brazil. I also played at the Sunrise festival, which was basically a party in a field! I have also been lucky enough to play at an amazing event which was held in a cave in Brazil. I love Brazil and the people, so it’s always been a great experience to play there.
Some of my favourite destinations are Ibiza, Goa and Japan! Ibiza and Goa are both totally inspiring for me. I make sure I spend time there each year. Goa in winter and Ibiza in the summer! Japan is just an amazing place – again, the people, the music and the food – I love it there.
1.Kirazu 47 Rupert Street, London. This is a Japanese restaurant in London’s Soho and the food is amazing.
2. Custo Clothing – there are stores in all over the world. I love this brand.
3. Los Naranjos de Marbella – I am yet to go here but I know an amazing yoga teacher who teaches there. It looks fantastic and it’s on my list of places to visit. I’m sure it will become another one of favourite destinations.
4. Jazz Café London – Camden’s finest music venue. I try and see as many acts as I can there.
5. Blue Planet Restaurant in Goa – a restaurant with the best organic food.
6. Sunrisein Bahia Brazil – one of the craziest events I have played at and it’s held in a super-amazing location.
7. Floridita London, Soho. I was a resident DJ here many years ago and now it’s a great Cuban restaurant and club. High on Heels and will be doing something monthly there so I have a real history with this venue.
8. Karma Cafein Dubai. Again, the food is amazing and we are doing a bi-monthly event there.
9. Nikki Beach (global locations) I have spent many summers performing with this brand, Marbella, Majorca , Thailand, Mexico. Etc. High on Heels have also performed at most of the openings and anniversaries – every one has an amazing atmosphere.
10 Carnaby Street London. I love this one street because it has my favourite shops in one place!!
W Hotels are first choice for me. They have the best entertainment and the coolest locations.
Again, I would have to say Kirazu in London. This is a Japanese restaurant in London’s Soho and the food is amazing.
Virgin Atlantic always delivers for me, followed by Emirates.
Ryanair! Simply because High On Heels cannot take instruments on as hand luggage and it’s crucial.
The UK is doing it for me right now. I’m a huge garage fan and the UK garage sound is back and bigger than ever thanks to people like Disclosure and Rudimental.
Always have a case ready and packed for a last minute booking. There is nothing worse than trying to match outfits when you have a plane to catch.
My iPhone, my memory cards with all my music on and my high heels!
Excited for my upcoming 2014 Asia Tour. We will be in Cambodia, Vietnam, then Hong Kong.
Miss Kelly Marie is a DJ, Producer and creator of the unique female music collective High On Heels. Hailing from the UK and possessing over 15 incredible years of global experience, Miss Kelly Marie’s credentials include an eye-watering list of worldwide tours, residencies and headline appearances all over the world. Recent highlights of Miss Kelly Marie’s DJ career include residencies and sets for Nikki Beach Marbella, Thailand, Mexico, St Tropez and Mallorca, and headline sets in Japan, Vietnam and India. As pioneer and key member of High On Heels, significant performances include Chelsea FC Player of the Year Awards, Heineken Live Access in Vietnam and Hennessy’s Beach Party in Sri Lanka. High On Heels have now released a series of stunning singles produced and presented by Miss Kelly Marie. ‘Gypsy Woman’ and ‘Are You Ready?’ are available now on iTunes.