During our recent family vacation to Umbria, Italy we decided to go to the Luxury Outlets in Montevarchi, Tuscany to stock up on some clothes, shoes, and get Christmas presents for family and friends.
I had been to the luxury outlets several times before on previous trips to Italy – they’re only a short drive from Florence and pretty easy to get to by car or bus.
People love Italian outlet stores because you can save on amazing brands like Gucci, Valentino, Bottega Veneta, Fendi and more.
Which Luxury Outlet Mall Should I Go To?
If you’re looking for the crème de la crème of fashion, you’ve got to head to The Mall luxury outlets. Here you’ll find a plethora of luxury outlet shops such as Balenciaga, Emilio Pucci, Ferragamo, Gucci, Prada, Saint Laurent, and more.
The Mall is an open-air shopping mall with paved walkways, restaurants, and plenty to look at. You could easily spend an entire day (or two) leisurely perusing the beautiful shops, especially the enormous Gucci and Prada outlets. Each one has their own building!
What Type of Deals Will I Get?
Keep in mind that although you’ll save some money, these are top of the line luxury goods so don’t go expecting bargain base prices. You can safely assume that items will be discounted 30 to 70%, which isn’t bad at all for amazing Italian clothing and shoes! What I always go for are the shoes at Tod’s and Prada. Both brands make really comfortable men’s shoes.
I also always find great deals on wallets, belts, and sunglasses. During my last visit, here’s what my wife and I bought:
- Stella McCartney scarf 50€ (original price 200€)
- Gucci men’s wallet 120€ (original price 400€)
- Gucci women’s zippered wallet 200€ (original price 350€)
- Hogan men’s sneakers 140€ (original price 300€)
- Prada men’s sneakers 150€ (original price 450€)
Tips for Shopping at the Outlets
- Bring you passport so you can get Tax Free (Duty Free). Customers residing outside the EU can claim back VAT on their purchases using a simple form that is available from any of the single sales points in the center for purchases above 155 euros. Once they have completed their shopping, customers can stop by the Global Blue office inside the Information Office at The Mall outlet center, to receive their refund. You can also do this at your last EU airport before heading home (be sure to have the items you bought with you and all your paperwork filled out). The maximum refundable amount is € 999.50
- Wear comfortable shoes if you plan to shop the whole day. The Mall is a large complex and so you’ll want to be able to walk comfortably.
- At the Prada and Gucci stores you will receive a number when you go inside. Rather than bringing your items to the register, a sales associate will show you an item on display and if you want to purchase it, he or she will reserve the item under your number. When you get to the cashier, you simply tell them your name and number and your items will be brought out. It sounds more complicated than it actually is – it’s to keep things organized and to limit the amount of merchandise on the floor at any given time.
- I would suggest getting there early, as you will beat the crowds and you will have the best options (once a store sells out of a popular item there won’t be more until the next shipment arrives). Around 11am it gets jammed packed, even in winter.
Restaurants at The Mall
The Mall has changed a lot over the years. They have a great little café, where you can get amazing paninis or huge delicious salads along with cheese and cold cut boards. They also recently opened the Gucci Caffé on the rooftop of the Gucci building that serves a mix of Tuscan and international dishes. They are open everyday from 9am – 8pm.
From Florence, you can either drive or take a bus run by BUSITALIA. It’s a 1-hour drive on the A1, to the town of Montevarchi. If you are coming from Rome, you would drive north on the A1 for 2 and a half hours an exit at Incisa. The Mall can also organize a shuttle service (minimum 2 people, cost 25 euros per person) from Florence. Here is the contact email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are looking to score some saving on luxury goods, I highly recommend setting some of your vacation budget aside to do some shopping for yourself or someone special.
Have you been to The Mall luxury outlets or other outlets in Tuscany? Tell us about it! Leave a comment below!